Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Flash Trail Expires in 30 Days

I brought this comment out to the main level of my Blog in other to capture attention of the class in relation to this issue. Christina rightly expressed concern in relation to trail version of Flash and that it will expire in 30 days. What to do? Here is my replay and it would be good that other class members provide some input by adding comments ot my post. Bottom line is, if you guys do not want Flash, we can always do something else. Any suggestion?

Christina, you are right and I thank you for your comments. That is a problem. I am not sure if you can reinstall it after that trail period and if this is “legal” to do on the same machine? Do you have any concrete suggestion about this issue? From my perspective I would just like to be able to hand CD or at least have some options where my students can purchase software at very law price. Unfortunately, I do not have power to influence this and from the University’s perspective (and from perspective of any other educational institution), as long software is available in classroom and labs, this is sufficient for teaching and learning. At this stage I am opting for a lot of free software, such as PhotoStory or Free Serif Software, however, there is nothing comparable to Flash in certain aspects.

As I mentioned earlier, you are not really obliged to use Flash for your project. Interactive visual representations can be developed with other tools, even Excel, however, Flash is powerful as it is the best tool that combines visual powers and interactivity and allows easy deployment on the internet and variety of devices (computer, mobile phones, PDAs, etc.). Before I was using Authorware with my students and they found it powerful an deasy but limited in terms of graphical capabilities and deployment. Interactivity is even possible with paper, as I showed you with examples of Robert Sabuda’s pop-up books (see image bellow from his book).

8 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Christina MLIM said...

Daniel,

I am sorry to make you trouble on the issue of Flash. For my own case, I have the solution already, because I have more than 1 PC...

Why I questioned about the version, because I found that there MAY BE the educational version of Flash MX 2004 on sale somewhere, and price is around HK$800. Because Flash MX is a very sophisicated tool and I think it is worth to own a legal copy for future use. And now, I think I have time to wait the educational version of Flash MX version 8 in the future.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Hi Chrisine, no trouble at all. I am glad that you brought up this issue an dit is very useful to talk about. This is the reality that we all face as a teachers: limited resources and addressing the concerns of our students. Please do continue bringing issues to the suface as that is great contribution to this module.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I do not know. For me personally it has enriched my understanding of technology for design of educational material and allowed me to develop some interesting leanrign objects. I would always recommend trying to get some fundamentals as these apply accross different tools.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Anyboty tried Swish before

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Authorware is alos good. I will give you guys some of my tutorials on Authorware for design of simple interactiv eleanring objects. however, if you want to learn more about Authorware for desing of computer-based trainign packages and multimedia, you can enrol for Hypermedia and multimedia in Educaiton course which I will run in September.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Keith Ma said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Keith Ma said...

The version problem of Flash will not occur if we only share and summit the compiled movie (.swf), unless we need to share and summit the source file (.fla). Thus, I want to ask if we need to summit the .fla file to Daniel.

If not, the version problem can be avoided as long as we do not open and edit the .fla file with different versions.

From this issue, I have one point to make. It's that I think the technical problems may limit the power of designers and the effectiveness of their interactive representations.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Fla should be submitted, but for me version is no problem because. Problem is with version in th elab which we use for teaching. Also in Flash 8 if you chose Save-as you can choose in what version to save.

you second pointis valid and technical skills do support creativity and effectivness as features of software penetrate in human psychology an dmake us think in term of tool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home